New Season - Potato Salad
This pretty potato has a creamy yellow flesh that tends to be waxy with a nutty flavour. Best for salads, boiling, steaming and baking. They are cream blotched with purple, with deep pink eyes. Wonderful boiled and buttered as new potatoes. Early maturing, harvested in Scottsdale from Early October.
NEW SEASON - POTATO SALAD
This recipe makes enough to feed 4-6 people as a side dish perfect accompaniment for a BBQ or salad night! We personally love the pink eyes as they add that smooth buttery taste.
- 1 KG pink eye potato (gently washed, leave the skin)
- ½ brown onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 300g bacon (3-4 pieces of middle bacon, diced)
- Dill (1 tbsp)
- Mayonnaise (1 cup)
- OPTIONAL : X1 celery stalk (cut in half length ways and diced), ¼ cup peas (steamed and cooled), boiled egg (sliced into chunks)
- After gently washing potatoes (leave skin on) boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of potato. I like to use small ones that way they are easy to cut into ¼ and perfect size for a good looking dish!
- While potatoes are boiling, dice bacon and onions together and fry until lightly crisp. Add crushed garlic for the last minute then scoop the bacon, onion & garlic mixture onto some paper towel to drain excess fat and cool.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise and chopped dill, around a tablespoon and mix together. I like to squeeze a little bit of fresh lemon juice just for flavour.
- Once potatoes are cooked (still firm but can poke with a fork easily) rinse under cold water to cool them straight away to prevent further cooking inside and falling apart when cut.
- Cut potatoes into ¼’s when cooled and mix with the bacon/onion/garlic and mayonnaise mixture gently.
- Add optional extras – chopped celery, egg or peas to bulk out the dish!