New Season - Potato Salad
NEW SEASON - POTATO SALAD
This recipe makes enough to feed 4-6 people as a side dish perfect accompaniment for a BBQ or salad night! We personally love the pink eyes as they add that smooth buttery taste.
- 1 KG pink eye potato (gently washed, leave the skin)
- ½ brown onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 300g bacon (3-4 pieces of middle bacon, diced)
- Dill (1 tbsp)
- Mayonnaise (1 cup)
- OPTIONAL : X1 celery stalk (cut in half length ways and diced), ¼ cup peas (steamed and cooled), boiled egg (sliced into chunks)
- After gently washing potatoes (leave skin on) boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of potato. I like to use small ones that way they are easy to cut into ¼ and perfect size for a good looking dish!
- While potatoes are boiling, dice bacon and onions together and fry until lightly crisp. Add crushed garlic for the last minute then scoop the bacon, onion & garlic mixture onto some paper towel to drain excess fat and cool.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise and chopped dill, around a tablespoon and mix together. I like to squeeze a little bit of fresh lemon juice just for flavour.
- Once potatoes are cooked (still firm but can poke with a fork easily) rinse under cold water to cool them straight away to prevent further cooking inside and falling apart when cut.
- Cut potatoes into ¼’s when cooled and mix with the bacon/onion/garlic and mayonnaise mixture gently.
- Add optional extras – chopper celery, egg or peas to bulk out the dish!